Carol Ostrow Mar. 30, 2015, 6:14am

A restaurant business has sued a Chicago smoke shop, alleging premises liability in a 2013 fire.

Suptaveeying Inc. doing business as The Thai Classic Restaurant, filed a lawsuit March 20 in Cook County Circuit Court against Mellow Moods Inc. doing business as Samah Hookah Lounge Chicago, alleging negligence in 2013 fire that caused property damage.

According to the complaint, on Oct. 25, 2013, a fire occurred on the premises of Samah Hookah Lounge, 3330 N. Clark St., directly adjacent to the plaintiff’s property at 3332 N. Clark St. The hookah establishment closed around 1 a.m. on the morning of Oct. 25 and a fire was discovered by an employee later that day, the suit states.

The Chicago Fire Department arrived 4:52 p.m. and determined the blaze originated in the Samah Hookah Lounge’s rear kitchen area, the suit states, and the defendant had a custom of disposing used smoking materials in a plastic can.

The plaintiff alleges property damage and cites negligence, alleging both insured and uninsured losses of contents, personal property, and business income, plus a statement that additional expenses resulting from the fire would not have occurred if the defendant had taken proper precautions.

Suptaveeying Inc. seeks damages in excess of $50,000, plus attorney fees and costs. The business is represented by attorney Michael Duffy of Childress Duffy in Chicago.

Cook County Circuit Court case number: 15-L-2912.

More News