Cook County Record

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Deacon alleges he choked on metal wire in fish from Elgin casino buffet

By Ben Hart | May 15, 2014

A patron of an Elgin casino is suing over claims he choked on a piece of metal found in food from the buffet.

Anwar Malham filed a lawsuit May 9 in the Cook County Circuit Court against Elgin Riverboat Resort, doing business as Grand Victoria Casino, Key Foodservices Co., and an unknown corporation, chef and manager, citing negligence.

According to the suit, Malham was dining at the Grand Victoria Casino at 250 S. Grove Ave. in Elgin on Aug. 31, 2012, when he gagged on a piece of metal wire contained in a piece of fish.

He claims he was able to pull the wire from his throat, but that it caused lacerations, pain and bleeding, which required medical attention and has negatively affected his ability to perform in his profession as a deacon at his church.

Malham is seeking damages in excess of $30,000 and court costs. He is being represented in the case by Morton Grove attorney Robert W. DeKelaita of R.W. DeKelaita and Associates.

Cook County Circuit Court Case No. 2014L005048.

This is a report on a civil lawsuit filed at the Cook County Courthouse. The details in this report come from an original complaint filed by a plaintiff. Please note, a complaint represents an accusation by a private individual, not the government. It is not an indication of guilt, and it only represents one side of the story.

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

More News