Cook County Record

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Company blames Cuvee nightclub for fire; claims it let patrons smoke inside

By Annie Cosby | Sep 25, 2014

A school lunch provider is suing the owner of a Near North Side nightclub, claiming it caused a fire that damaged the building they shared by allowing patrons to smoke inside.

OrganicLife filed a lawsuit Sept. 10 in Cook County Circuit Court against VML Inc., doing business as Cuvee.

According to the complaint, OrganicLife has offices in the same West Erie Street building the defendant operates its nightclub. The company claims the nightclub permitted patrons to smoke indoors, in violation of Chicago Municipal Code, which caused a fire to break out on Dec. 8, 2013.

As a result of the defendant's negligence, the plaintiff contends the building, including its offices, sustained fire, smoke and water damage.

OrganicLife is seeking more than $50,000 in damages and is represented by attorney Robert J. Spinazzola of Maisel & Associates in Chicago.

Cook County Circuit Court case number: 2014L009431.

This is a report on a civil lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court. The details in this report come from an original complaint filed by a plaintiff. Please note, a complaint represents an accusation by a private individual, not the government. It is not an indication of guilt and it only represents one side of the story.

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

More News