A diner is suing a restaurant, alleging injuries suffered when a pot of hot tea was tipped over onto her lap.
Patricia Cervantes filed a lawsuit July 15 in Cook County Circuit Court against Chi Tung Restaurant Inc., doing business as Chi Tung Restaurant, alleging negligence and carelessness.
According to the complaint, on Aug. 14, 2014, Cervantes was at Chi Tung, 9560 S. Kedzie Ave., Evergreen Park, when she was "caused to receive severe burns when a hot tea pot was caused to be knocked over and spilled onto the plaintiff due to the negligent, dangerous and unsafe condition."
The lawsuit alleges the defendant failed to give proper warning the tea was hot, struck the tea pot while clearing the table, keep workers from handling unsafe, hot tea containers, take reasonable care, serve hot tea that wasn't scalding, and warn patrons the tea was scalding.
Cervantes seeks damages of more than $50,000, plus costs. She is represented by attorneys Vincent Petrosino and Kevin J. O'Shea of Serpico, Petrosino, Dipiero & O'Shea in Chicago.
Cook County Circuit Court case number 2015L007197.