CHICAGO — A couple is suing Nicor, also on behalf of their daughter, alleging the utility should be made to pay for severe injuries the father and his daughter sustained when their house in Homer Glen exploded, when their furnace ignited natural gas they say had accumulated in their home because of work Nicor was doing on a nearby natural gas line.

Ruth Kolpacki and Edward Kolpacki filed a complaint on Feb. 13 in Cook County Circuit Court, alleging their house exploded in December 2016 after Nicor failed to inform them of a possible natural gas leak at their residence.

Joseph Balesteri
Joseph Balesteri | Power Rogers & Smith PC

According to the complaint, the plaintiffs allege Edward Kolpacki and the couple's minor daughter sustained serious physical injuries, including hospitalization and treatment, leaving permanent injuries and disfigurement. The plaintiffs hold the defendant responsible for allegedly failing to follow proper protocols to turn off the main power to their property and advise them to evacuate upon signs of a possible gas leak.

The plaintiffs seek judgment against the defendant in an amount greater than $50,000. They are represented by Joseph W. Balesteri of Power, Rogers & Smith LLP in Chicago.

Cook County Circuit Court case number 2018-L-001537

Want to get notified whenever we write about Cook County Circuit Court ?
Next time we write about Cook County Circuit Court, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Cook County Circuit Court

More News