Cook County Record

Friday, September 20, 2019

Clear Candle Corp. sued after woman sustained burns

By Joel Brakken | Dec 31, 2013

A woman is suing a company she bought a gel candle from after she was burned.

Phyllis Peterson filed a lawsuit Dec. 12 in the Cook County Circuit Court against Clear Candle Corp., citing strict liability and negligence.

According to the complaint, the defendant sold a votive candle holder and peel and push votive gel candles to Peterson on Nov. 3, 2012.

The complaint states the gel candles were designed to burn evenly from the wick area and were unreasonably dangerous because they burned from the entire top surface rather than the wick area, the gel bubbled and flamed out of the candle and gel spilled out of the candle.

Peterson claims she put a gel candle in its holder and lit it on Nov. 3, 2012., when the gel began to bubble and burn from its entire top surface.

She alleges that when she attempted to move the candle holder and candle, the gel spilled onto her hands, causing burns.

Peterson is seeking damages in excess of $50,000. She is being represented in the case by attorney Keith L. Young.

Cook County Circuit Court Case No. 2013L014031.

This is a report on a civil lawsuit filed in the Cook County Circuit Court. The details in this report come from an original complaint filed by a plaintiff. Please note, a complaint represents an accusation by a private individual, not the government. It is not an indication of guilt, and it only represents one side of the story.

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

More News