CHICAGO — A woman is suing Ideavillage Products Corporation for alleged negligence and product liability after its product allegedly caused a house fire that claimed a woman's life.
Annette Duffy, independent administrator of the estate of Ruth E. Schuda, filed a complaint on Nov. 7 in Cook County Circuit Court, alleging the defendant manufactured its Handy Switch Wireless Remote Switch without proper safety features.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges Schuda sustained serious physical injuries on Dec. 17, 2016, when her Handy Switch caught fire, burning her home in downstate Ottawa, allegedly causing her death. The plaintiff holds the defendant responsible for allegedly manufacturing its product in such a way that it did not come with a protective cap to be placed over the receiver to securely contain any possible fire caused by overheating.
The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks judgment against the defendant in an amount that exceeds the minimum amount required for the jurisdiction of this court. She is represented by Edward G. Willer of Corboy & Demetrio P.C. in Chicago.
Cook County Circuit Court case number 2017L011292
Want to get notified whenever we write about
any of these organizations
Next time we write about
any of these organizations,
we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.
Sign-up for Alerts
Organizations in this Story
Cook County Circuit Court
Corboy & Demetrio